Last Updated on
Home security is something that is important to every homeowner.
Thanks to modern technology there are many DIY options that can be purchased and used as self-monitoring alarm systems.
Today we are going to review a system by Fortress Security Store, the SO2-A Wireless Home and Business Security Alarm System DIY Kit.
Quick Overview of Fortress Security Store
Before we review the actual alarm, let’s take a look at the company behind the product, Fortress Security Store. The company has been in business since the start of 2005.
President and CEO, Michael Hofeditz states on their website that they pride themselves, “on providing exceptional customer service to both new customers and existing customers.”
They strive to provide quality products that allow homeowners and business owners to have the peace of mind that security brings.
Their products remove the need for expensive installation charges and recurring monthly monitoring charges from a security company.
This is a great kit for DIYers to start with. The system is easy to install and easy to use.
The system is capable of calling up to six different phone numbers to notify that an alarm has been triggered (must be connected to a land line or VoIP phone service).
This also allows you to call into your security system and listen to what is taking place at your house or place of business.
What’s Included in the Security Kit
- Control Panel including auto-dialer
- Four digit codes for alarming and disarming system
- 5 Door/window contact sensors – The system can handle up to 99 sensors total. Installation of the sensors is easy, even with additional sensors that you purchase.
- 2 Passive motion detectors – with 110 degree horizontal coverage and up to 90 degrees vertically. They provide a detection range of 25 feet.
- 110dB alarm
- 2 Keyfobs to activate and deactivate alarm without the keypad
- Panic Alarm
- 4 Warning stickers to use on windows and doors
- Warning for cut telephone lines
- Battery backup
- Two selections of arming modes to protect your house – one for while you are sleeping and the other for while the house is empty
- Ability to remotely disable the alarm via a phone call to the system- nice option for when you have guests or contractors coming to your house while you are away
- 150 foot sensor range (when unobstructed) and 150 foot wireless siren range
- 3 year warranty
Amazon reviewers mention over and over again how easy the installation is.
The sensors use double sided tape (which is included) to attach to your doors and windows. The brackets for the motion detectors are quick to install.
Overall the complete installation should take no longer than one to two hours depending on the size of your house.
The sensors and motion detectors that come with the kit are programmed, making this a plug-and-play system.
Cons to the System
The one con that seems to show up the most about the SO2-A Wireless DIY Security Kit is that the alarm false triggers.
But, it is important to keep in mind that there are extremely few complaints compared to how many satisfied customers there are for this product.
Another complaint that is mentioned is that the system would be easy for an intruder to find and smash to disable.
While this is a valid complaint, it is also important to remember that this is a DIY self-monitoring system. It will not provide all of the same benefits as paying a security company to monitor your home or business.
However, the cost savings makes this product more than acceptable for most people.
Once the alarm is tripped it will also complete the programmed auto-dialer calls, which means you will be notified of the disturbance even if the alarm is destroyed quickly after it is tripped.
What People Love
The majority of people who purchase and use this product are more than happy with it.
- They appreciate the easy installation that the product provides. The system is easy for people to not only install, but use, even those with little technical knowledge.
- They receive good customer service, even on the weekends. There are multiple reviews about customers have problems with a part of the system that the company quickly replaces without a fight.
- The alarm is LOUD! It does a good job of notifying the homeowner/business owner and of startling anyone that is trying to get into the home/building.
- It is economical. When you compare this product with other systems on the market and with the services of security companies, it is much more affordable.
Fortress Security Store’s SO2-A Wireless DIY Security Kit is reliable, which is the main thing you can ask for out of a security system.
The company provides a 3 year warranty, which is longer than many competitors on the market. It is easy to install, easy to use and affordable.
This is a DIY security system that we can recommend for homeowners and business owners looking for a simple easy to use system that will notify them of a problem.
Watch this video review of the SO2-A below: