If you are a gun enthusiast you need a safe place to keep your collection. Whether you have them as a hobby or for hunting, you want to make sure you protect not only the guns but your loved ones as well. One of the most well-known manufacturers of safes on the market is Sports Afield.
Previously we reviewed the SA7240-P Sports Afield Gun Safe. Now we are going to review one of the safes from their Maximum Security Series. This is the review of the SA6028USA.
When safety is of the utmost importance you want to make sure that you are choosing a name you can trust. Sports Afield has been in the outdoor industry for over 125 years. Even if you haven’t heard of their safes there is a good chance that you have seen their magazine. This company has stood the test of time. They also stand behind their products with one of the most complete warranties in the industry.
- Fire Rating – This safe is filled with concrete and is rated for fire protection up to 1200 degrees for up to 90 minutes. It has been tested and found to keep the interior temperature of the safe to below 350 degrees.
- Built strong – Outer walls are constructed from 12 gauge steel walls and the inner walls are 16 gauge.
- Secure – Not only does the safe have strong walls made of 12 gauge steel, but it has a solid steel plate door that is 1/4″ thick. It also has 14 steel bolts that are 1.5″ long.
- Ample storage space – There is a Premium Door Organizer that helps you get the most out of the storage room in this safe. It’s a great place to keep any of the items that you might need quick access to.
- Easier install – While this safe is heavy enough that it would be difficult to move it also comes with 4 pre-cut anchor holes to make it easier for you to secure the safe to the floor.
- Top of the line warranty – Covers electronic lock, paint defects, and all parts
- Internal AC power port
- Removable external power cord
- Interior motion detector with light kit
- Carpeted walls on the interior
- Made in the USA
When you are looking for a large gun safe it’s important to know the specs of the safe. You don’t want to purchase one that is too big or too heavy for the area that you plan on putting it. Here’s what you need to know about this Sports Afield Maximum Security Series safe:
- Size: 60 x 28 x 24
- Weight: 830 lbs
- Gun Capacity: 28 + 3
With the size of this safe, you want to make sure that you know where it’s going to go and then plan on keeping it in that spot. This is not a safe that you are going to move from room to room as you redecorate or reorganize.
There really aren’t any cons to this safe other than it’s size. But, if you are purchasing this safe it’s because you are looking for a big heavy safe that is going to protect your guns and your family.
What’s different between the basic Sports Afield and the Maximum Series?
Both of the safes that we have reviewed are effective options for a heavy duty safe. Here’s what the differences are.
- This Sports Afield Maximum Series safe is made of 12 gauge steel as opposed to the 14 gauge that is used on the other safe.
- The bolts that are used on the safe are 1/4 inch longer on the maximum series.
- The safe is fireproof up to 1200 degrees for 50 minutes longer than the more basic safe.
If you have a large collection of weapons that you want to keep safe this is a great option to consider. It will protect your items from fire and from getting in the hands of the wrong person. If you want to compare this safe to some others on the market you can view more reviews in our post on the best gun safes.