by Robert Fox
A handgun is meant to keep you safe, but it's also something you need to keep safe. There are many examples of why you need to keep your handgun in a safe. It could be that you have small children in the house and you don't want to chance them getting their hands on a loaded weapon. Or, it could be that you need to travel with your weapon, but either can't or don't want to carry it on you. And, you never want to chance that someone breaks into your house and is able to find and access your gun to use against you. You want a safe that you can trust, and today we are going to review the VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe.
The VAULTEK VT20i is an upgrade of the old VT10. The upgrades include better biometric recognition, improved locking system and internal LED lights. As with other handgun safes, it can be mounted to a surface (e.g., bed frame) or used in a drawer or shelf that opens up. It doesn't have a dedicated mount.
The device comes with two backup keys for opening in case the battery runs out or you forget your fingerprint. You'd have to make an extra trip to get one from wherever you mounted it. The Biometric Safe door opens easily, unlike some others I've used where pushing up on the latch is required while holding down the lid. It has a 1-inch lip on the door that aids opening.
The steel safe body is 0.5 inch thick, weighs 2 pounds and measures 4x8x1 inches. The dimensions are slightly smaller than its predecessor VT10, which was 5X8X1 inches with a weight of 3 pounds. It comes with a mounting bracket and screws, but no wall anchors. It's easy to drill into the four pre-punched holes in the bottom of the safe.
- The VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun safe can hold fingerprints for up to 20 different people. The use of a biometric entry is a great way to provide you with quick and easy access to your gun. It has a high resolution sensor for accurate use.
- The safe works with a smart app that has bluetooth encryption. The app allows you to access information from your safe. You can see how the charge is holding up. you can also lock and unlock the safe. And, you can check to see if your safe has been tampered with.
- The safe can also be programmed with different combinations. There are over 40,000 different combinations that can be created. The keypad is illuminated to make it easy to use at night or in the dark.
- The VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe includes a rechargeable battery that will last around four months. The battery can be charged in as little as 2.5 hours. This option makes it easy for the safe to be used to transport your weapon.
- The safe also comes with a backup set of laser cut keys. This will allow you to easily access your gun even if the battery has died.
- this safe can easily fit inside the drawer of your nightstand or under the seat of your car. It's easy to carry with you or hide away at home.
- The safe meets TSA airline firearm guidelines.The safe also easily fits underneath the seat of a car.
- While this safe has a lot of features to make it easy to carry with you it also comes with hardware for you to mount the safe in place. This can be a good option to use so your safe can't be easily carried away.
- There are special features that would make this safe almost impossible to get into. The hinges are hidden on the inside so you cannot access them unless you are actually inside of the safe. There are also anti-pry bars to resist break-in attempts.
The main complaint, which we do see as very valid, is that if the Bluetooth connectivity of the safe is turned on it can be hacked in order to open the safe without requiring any type of pin. There are mixed opinions about this online. While there are videos of people hacking into the safe, Vaultek assures that the process in order to do that is actually incredibly time consuming and not as easy as it is made to look. The company does admit this is a problem though and is working on a solution to correct it, which will require sending firmware to customers because there is no way for them to fix it remotely.
There are a few other reviewers that mention that this safe easily pops open if it is simply bumped or moved. However, the majority of people do not agree with this issue.
If you are someone that is very concerned about the ability for someone to hack into your safe, then you may want to wait to purchase this until the fix has been released for it. However, for the majority of us, this is a safe bet to buy. If you have small children that you want to keep your gun away from this is a good solution. With the complaints that the safe pops open if it is bumped or moved we recommend that when your safe arrives you test it out. Play around with it and see if you can pop it open by manipulating it. If your safe is defective and opens when it shouldn't simply return it.
Q: How does the fingerprint scanner work?
A: The fingerprint scanner on the VS20i works by reading your unique fingerprint and then storing it in the safe's memory. When you want to access the contents of the safe, you simply place your finger on the scanner and it will compare your fingerprint to the ones stored in its memory. If there's a match, the safe will open. If not, it will stay locked.
Q: What is the battery life like?
A: The battery life on the VS20i is pretty good. It can last for up to six months on a single charge, so you don't have to worry about it running out of power anytime soon.
Q: How difficult is it to set up?
A: The VS20i is actually quite easy to set up. It comes with detailed instructions that walk you through the entire process, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting it up and running.
Q: Does this safe come with a warranty?
A: Yes, the VS20i comes with a one-year limited warranty. This covers any defects that may occur during normal use of the safe.
Customers who have purchased the VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe have given it high marks for its security and convenience features. Many reviewers commented on how easy it was to set up and use the safe, and how quickly they were able to access their firearms when needed. Several customers also praised the quality of the construction, noting that the safe feels very solid and well-made.
A few reviewers did note that the fingerprint scanner can be a bit finicky at times, but overall most customers were very happy with the performance of the VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe. If you're looking for a secure and convenient way to store your firearms, this safe is definitely worth considering.
VAULTEK 20 Series Biometric Handgun Bluetooth Smart Safe Pistol Safe with Auto-Open Lid - Walmart, Etsy, eBay
The VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe is a great way to keep your firearms safe and secure. This safe is made with high-quality materials and it's very easy to use. The safe has a biometric scanner that allows you to quickly open the safe with just your fingerprint. It also has an automatic locking system that will secure the safe after it's been closed. You can also use the included keys to unlock the safe if you don't want to use the biometric scanner.
About Robert Fox
Rob Fox is a former hydro worker who used to teach self defence in Miami for 10 years. He's currently enjoying his retirement, playing cribbage and golf with his buddies, locksmithing and home security in his spare time. Rob is an avid reader, and has even written a few books on the subject of self defence.
Check These Out
You can Get FREE Gifts. Furthermore, Free Items here. Disable Ad Blocker to receive them all.
Once done, hit anything below