A handgun is meant to keep you safe, but it’s also something you need to keep safe. There are many examples of why you need to keep your handgun in a safe. It could be that you have small children in the house and you don’t want to chance them getting their hands on a loaded weapon. Or, it could be that you need to travel with your weapon, but either can’t or don’t want to carry it on you. And, you never want to chance that someone breaks into your house and is able to find and access your gun to use against you. You want a safe that you can trust, and today we are going to review the VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe.
Gun Safe Features
– The VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun safe can hold fingerprints for up to 20 different people. The use of a biometric entry is a great way to provide you with quick and easy access to your gun. It has a high resolution sensor for accurate use.
– The safe works with a smart app that has bluetooth encryption. The app allows you to access information from your safe. You can see how the charge is holding up. you can also lock and unlock the safe. And, you can check to see if your safe has been tampered with.
– The safe can also be programmed with different combinations. There are over 40,000 different combinations that can be created. The keypad is illuminated to make it easy to use at night or in the dark.
– The VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe includes a rechargeable battery that will last around four months. The battery can be charged in as little as 2.5 hours. This option makes it easy for the safe to be used to transport your weapon.
– The safe also comes with a backup set of laser cut keys. This will allow you to easily access your gun even if the battery has died.
– this safe can easily fit inside the drawer of your nightstand or under the seat of your car. It’s easy to carry with you or hide away at home.
– The safe meets TSA airline firearm guidelines.The safe also easily fits underneath the seat of a car.
– While this safe has a lot of features to make it easy to carry with you it also comes with hardware for you to mount the safe in place. This can be a good option to use so your safe can’t be easily carried away.
Difficult to break-in to
– There are special features that would make this safe almost impossible to get into. The hinges are hidden on the inside so you cannot access them unless you are actually inside of the safe. There are also anti-pry bars to resist break-in attempts.
What’s not to like about the safe?
The main complaint, which we do see as very valid, is that if the Bluetooth connectivity of the safe is turned on it can be hacked in order to open the safe without requiring any type of pin. There are mixed opinions about this online. While there are videos of people hacking into the safe, Vaultek assures that the process in order to do that is actually incredibly time consuming and not as easy as it is made to look. The company does admit this is a problem though and is working on a solution to correct it, which will require sending firmware to customers because there is no way for them to fix it remotely.
There are a few other reviewers that mention that this safe easily pops open if it is simply bumped or moved. However, the majority of people do not agree with this issue.
Should you buy the Vaultek Vt20i Biometric Handgun Safe?
If you are someone that is very concerned about the ability for someone to hack into your safe, then you may want to wait to purchase this until the fix has been released for it. However, for the majority of us, this is a safe bet to buy. If you have small children that you want to keep your gun away from this is a good solution. With the complaints that the safe pops open if it is bumped or moved we recommend that when your safe arrives you test it out. Play around with it and see if you can pop it open by manipulating it. If your safe is defective and opens when it shouldn’t simply return it.